Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Guest Post from Amy at Fruit Salad Life- Zuke Cuppy Cakes

Hi Guys!  I am so sorry I have been MIA recently but I am just swamped with work and my move!  Luckily my girl Amy has my back.  Check out her guest post below!- Thanks Ames!

Hiiii to all you lovely bakers out there! I’m Amy from over at Fruit Salad Life! Since my girl Jess is beyond swamped with work and moving (yay!) this week, I figured I’d help a sister out and do a guest post for her. Now, first of all…Jess and I go way back in the day. After coming back from abroad my junior year of college, I was shoved into a 4-person single dorm room and Jess and I hit it off right away. Now that we’re finally reunited in the same city, I adore our weekly dates!

Generally, I’m the cook and she’s the baker, but every so often we like to mix it up and try something different. I was channeling her the other day and just needed to bake! I had a couple zucchinis lounging around my fruit bowl and checked in with mah gurl, Martha Stewart, for a good cupcake recipe involving these fine veggies. The result? Pure, unadulterated, baked-good bliss.

Oh and ummmm, let the record show that I yanked mine out of the oven after baking for 3 minutes and had to remix the batter, because I had a total blonde moment. I completely forgot to add baking powder to the mix! MAY-JAH duhhhhh, Amy. But they turned out perfectly nonetheless!

Zuke Cuppy Cakes (makes 12)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 zucchinis, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tin and set aside.
  2. In a bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, and mix just until combined (do not overmix).
  4. Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
  5. Cool in tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely (I actually stuck my muffin tin straight into the freezer to cool, so I could frost immediately! 

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons room-temperature unsalted butter
  • 4 ounces room-temperature bar cream cheese
  • 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
In a medium bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together by hand until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Star Fabulous Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment