This weekend was some FABULOUS ladies birthday celebration weekend. 7 people in one apartment on Saturday night is obviously the sign of a successful birthday. Other key components a successful bday, Mexican food, margaritas... and BIRTHDAY CUPCAKES!
These cupcakes are a staple in my life. They were also made back in the day for my other roommate's birthday in January but this time I changed things up a little bit and just to make things better, the frosting, which is amazing, is completely made from scratch and a Jessica-vention.
Cupcake Ingredients: (Adapted from Weight Watchers)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 egg whites
3/4 cup fat free vanilla greek yogurt
1/4 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup fat free skim milk
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3) In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy with an electric mixer
4) Add eggs and yogurt to the wet mixture and mix until well-combined with an electric mixer
5) Alternating between the flour mixture and milk, add to the wet mixture while the electric mixer continues to run until batter is fully blended
6) Spoon batter into muffin tins that have been pam-ed and lined. Each muffin should be about 3/4s full.
7) Bake until tops are slightly golden about 18 to 23 minutes.
8) Let cupcakes cool.
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 tablespoon of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
Additional: White Chocolate Chips
9) While cupcakes are cooling put chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
10) Remove and add water and place back in the microwave for 1 minute
11) Remove, stirx (add more water if necessary), and put back in the microwave
12) Add cocoa powder, powdered sugar and milk and stir until frosting-like consistency. If it appears too think place in the microwave a little longer.
13) Once cupcakes have cooled frost and add white chocolate chips for decorations!
Decorating these was the most fun. Actually, late night eating them was the most fun.
I believe all in all, SUCCESS!
My roommate (whose birthday it was) gave them this great rating!
Star Fabulous Rating: