Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Candied Almonds- Wanna-Be Street Nuts

If you know me at all, you know of my new addiction to Street Nuts in NYC.  I don't think I have stopped talking about it since January.  I just don't understand how someone can pass those little carts and not get a pack, or 2, or 12. Well after eating so many street nuts a couple weeks back that I was painfully full for a solid 24 hours, I vowed to not get them again.  It has been difficult. EXTREMELY difficult.  Yesterday, when my craving really kicked in, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I made Candied Almonds!  Now I am by no means trying to say that these almonds live up to the amazingly addictive Street Nuts, but hey, they are a pretty satisfying alternative and they definitely hit the spot.

The best part of these is that there are 6 ingredients, total (I am not counting water). Easy Peasy. It was adapted from about a billion candied nuts recipes that I searched yesterday and was created as a combination of different ideas.  All in all, my goal was to make it easy and fast.

Ingredients: 
3 tablespoons liquid egg whites 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon of water
300 almonds (you can guestimate- its about 3/4 of a lb)
2/3 cup whites sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Steps:
1) Preheat the ovan to 250 degrees F
2) In a medium bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and water
3) Add the almonds to this mixture and combine so all almonds are covered with the wet mixture
4) Add sugar, salt and cinnamon to the bowl and mix thoroughly to coat almonds.
5) Spread evenly on a baking sheet that has a pam-ed piece of tinfoil
6) Bake for one hour, moving the almonds around ever 15 minutes so to prevent them from burning.
7) Remove, let cool, and enjoy!
8) I made them into servings of about 15 almonds.  Make sure to keep them in an air tight container!

Now, I have eaten about 3 servings of these since they were made yesterday but then again, I am addicted to both almonds and anything involving the word "candied".  It is a problem. 

The best part about these nuts is that they weren't made with any oil or butter like the ones on the streets! Yum yum yum!

If actual street nuts are a Star Fabulous Rating of 10/10.  These would be about an 8/10- Definitely feed my craving, still, I wouldn't hate some traditional street nuts every once in a while. 

Star Fabulous Craving: 

2 comments:

  1. i've always thought about making candied nuts, but i knowwwww that i will eat a pound of them immediately. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are delish! I did a great job of not eating them too quickly, and then Saturday, I dominated them.

    ReplyDelete