They are absolutely heavenly and quite easy to make. The trick to their sweetness- applesauce!
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
The original recipe called for fresh berries but if you are on a budget like this girl, the frozen ones are just as yummy and much more friendly on the wallet!
1) Preheat the oven to 325°.
2) In one large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
3) In a separate bowl mix eggs, melted butter, vanilla and applesauce (it will look like more wet mixture than you are generally used to seeing when using apple sauce in a baking recipe.
4) Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
5) Add the mixed berries to the mixture and fold them in (I like to mix them sort of vigorously, smushing the berries a smidge to add flavor- and the great pinkish color).
6) Pour the batter into 15 lined muffin tins and bake at 325° for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7) Let them cool and DIVE IN! (heat them up and throw a little butter on them if you are feeling very decadent)
These muffins are very moist, and as they are made with applesauce, they are a fabulous "healthy" option for your sweet tooth.
Best lazy rainy Saturday ever- re-runs of Desperate Housewives and a sweet treat. Now if only I can get myself up and going for the big benefit tonight! At least these treats will give me a natural adrenalin rush!
Had to add this: I bet these would be delicious with any of the below:
Star Fabulous Rating: 4/10