Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And We Are Off

Morning everyone! I have exciting news on the workout front over here!  I have finally decided to kick my "I cant run mentality".  Now, this is a huge deal for me.  I really do struggle to run, which is something that I can admit, without shame, has really held back my work outs. There have been times when I have tried to run, 1 mile here and there, but ultimately I give up before really allowing my body to transition from a walker to a runner.  After reading all of my favorite blogs about these wonderful women who overcame multiple things to become runners (injury, loathing, disgust for the idea of it like yours truly), I decided that enough was enough.  So, with the help of my fabulous friend Amy over at Fruit Salad Life, my sista, and my roomie, I decided to do a 5K. Amy showed me the well known Couch to 5K training plan and last night, I started it! It is a 9 week plan, which I know may seem extremely long for a lot of you who run miles and miles a day, but I am excited about being able to ease into this and allow my body and my mind to really throw my "I am not a runner" mentality in the trash! 

So week one looks like this:


Simple enough right?

This training plan is perfect for me because, as many of you know, I LOVE walking. Any exercise involving walking is my JAM so therefore an exercise plan that will teach me to love running, that starts out with a lot of walking seems like the perfect fit! That being said, yesterday's first work out was a little bit too easy for me as I have been working out (with my incline walking) and haven't be on the couch.  I added a little extra walking at the end and some abs and strength training! I am feeling super good about this.  It is great to find something to work toward that is attainable and can truly make you feel accomplished.

Now all I need to do is pick the 5K.  

What is your favorite 5K you have ran? Any thoughts on which 5K I should run around September?

1 comment:

  1. love the pic jessie face! i like the challenge, too :)

    ReplyDelete