Easter back at "the ranch" was as wonderful as I expected. I ate more food than any one person needs to consume in a weekend and was comfortably stuffed for the solid 3 days. After a two and a half hour meal of Lo Mein, Chicken and Broccoli and Mai Tais, Sibling, BF, Sibling BF and Faj all went home to watch the Bruins kill it in over time, while mother and I took to the kitchen to create this scrumptious recipe to add to the Sunday Easter Brunch Buffet. I have made this recipe more than once with the help of Gina and decided that Mother could be allowed in on the secret of this scrumptious success. This recipe is easy and simple. Unfortunately, "the ranch" was not prepared for the baking takeover that was about the commence, so we only had 2 bananas. Because of this, Mother suggested that we heavy-up on the applesauce. Similarly, she requested we call this "My-Mom-Wants-to-Call-this-Banana-Applesauce-Bread...Bread" (I will post about the original, simple, Banana Bread at a different date).
We created half of Gina's recipe, to make one loaf, and strayed away from the nuts. After all, BF was at Easter and as you'll remember from my previous post BF has his Simple Ways to Easily Ruin a Sweet According to BF, and nuts are numero uno.
2 ripe medium bananas, mashed (wish we had 3)
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
3 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Steps: (Easy Peasy)
1) Preheat oven to 325°.
2) Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans with baking spray.
3)Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl and place aside.
4) In a separate, large bowl, with an electric mixer combine butter and sugar.
5) Add egg whites, bananas, apple sauce and vanilla to the butter mixture and and beat at medium speed until thick
6) Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and then blend at low speed until combined
7) Pour batter into pan bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8) Mother likes to serve with berries- I vote a nice dollop of I Can't Believe Its Not Butter- too each their own.
Considering this entire loaf was devoured before I even got a second piece, I would say its a hit.
Star Fabulous Rating: 9/10 (Simple Banana Bread gets a 10/10- another post, another time)