Last night was a fabulous adventure with the fam! We went over to Sissy K's apartment for much Pinot and cupcakes (my creation) and then headed out to dinner at Crispo downtown which was amazing! I got a delicious prosciutto cheese platter- yes for my meal, I have been CRAVING prosciutto recently so gotta satisfy my craving and move on! They also had the most amazing artichoke heart appetizer. So amazing that we got two orders!
Well the cupcake creations were an absolute hit! Dad loved them so I believe if the birthday boy enjoys them you can classify those as a hit! Wahoo. And yes, we ate them before dinner- it felt very indulgent and fabulous :)
These are a little trickier to make than your standard cupcakes and frosting but not by much. They are worth ever step! We will do the cupcakes first and then tackle the frosting.
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup milk
12 tablespoons sugar free strawberry preserves (I went with Trader Joes- OBVI)
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2) In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3) Add butter to try mixture with an electric mixer
4) In a separate large bowl combine mill, egg whites, and both extract.
5) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the large bowl of wet ingredients and beat slowly until there are no lumps.
6) Fill pam-ed muffin tins 1/2 way
7) Scoop one tablespoon of sugar free jam on top of each cupcake
8) Top with one more scoop of cake batter
9) Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until top of cupcakes begins to brown slightly
10) Remove and let cool!
While the cupcakes are cooling, you can create the frosting!
This frosting was stolen from here and is absolutely delicious! Note tho: It makes SO much frosting that I think I'm going to have to bake tonight because I have an entire bowl left! If you are trying to make frosting just for the above cupcakes, I would suggest cupping the below recipe in 3!
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperate
6 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) In a small bowl cream butter with an electric mixer
2) Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar and the milk and vanilla and mix at a low speed until combine (add powdered sugar a little at a time)
3) Add two more cups of the sugar and combine until light and fluffy!
After the cupcakes are cooled completed spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes and dollop with red cakemate. Swirl around with spoon for effect (if you desire)
These are amazing cupcakes. The strawberry filling really adds the extra omph to make them over-the-edge-superior-to-your-standard-cupcake-kinda-treat.
The frosting was a little too sweet for this girl but all in all the creation was quite delicious. I give these a Star Fabulous Rating of 8/10!
Star Fabulous Rating: 8/10